traditional Shepherd’s Pie.
The perfect winter dinner.
1 medium sweet potato
4 coliban potatoes
250g lean pork mince
250g lean veal mince
500ml vegetable stock
1 brown onion
2 cloves garlic
1 x 450g tin crushed tomatoes
1 x medium zucchini, grated
1 whole red capsicum, finely chopped
3 celery stalks finely chopped
2 large carrots, grated
6 button mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/3 cup milk
1/2 c red wine
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and garlic stirring for 1 minute or until softened and golden.
- Increase heat to high. Add mince and cook, being sure to break up any lumps for 5 minutes or until mince begins to brown (but not completely).
- Before it has browned completely, add the zucchini and carrot. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the stock, stirring constantly, until combined. Add the passata, Worcestershire sauce, red wine and tomato paste.
- Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 20 minutes on a low to medium heat until reduced and thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook potato in a saucepan of boiling water for 12 minutes or until tender, being careful not to overcook the potatoes as this will cause the mash consistency to become gluey.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pan, add the milk and butter. Mash until smooth. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Preheat the grill on high. Pour mince into an oven proof dish and top with mashed potato, spreading evenly Cook under grill for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 6 serves.